These past three months as a new mom have been a roller coaster ride to say the least. I’ve been reflecting on the challenges and the joyful moments and I look forward to putting them into a longer post about the newborn stage and completing a PhD. Until I find a moment to write that post, I will leave you with some fun comparisons on how I am finding motherhood is a lot like a PhD….
- You have no idea what you are doing, but yet you keep going
- There are days where you feel like you have done nothing, but have worked so damn hard
- You enjoy it but don’t have any energy left to show it
- You put your all into it and rarely get rewarded
- There is a whole community going through the same thing, but it’s still a lonely road
- Comparison is so easy, but everyone’s path looks very different
- There is no rule book or guide
- Most people (except others in your shoes) wonder what it is you do all day that keeps you so busy
- Asking for help can be hard, but burnout is real, so take breaks (even if you have no time for them)
- It’s exhausting, but there are those moments that are just magic and make it all worth it
Are you a parent who is or has completed their PhD? Anything to add to the list? Would love to hear in the comments.
Until next time,
P.S Don’t forget to use #ScholarCulture #ScholarSquad to keep me updated on your experiences as grad students.